July 06, 2004
Blogs of Recent Note
Posted by Jon Henke
My daily reading list is always in flux, with new blogs moving onto my radar, and....well, not many blogs go. Still, I thought it would be worth my time (if, perhaps, not yours) to list a few of the blogs that have really gained my attention lately....
- Balloon Juice: he's been away for a few days, but when he's on, John Cole is among the most interesting and worthwhile bloggers I read. Balloon Juice is particularly effective at rebutting popular memes and arguments.
- Obsidian Wings: A 4-person group blog - and perhaps the only mixed ideology group blog that really works. They are measured, thoughtful and interesting...consistently.
- Priorities and Frivolities: more intellectual honesty. Willing to make fair-minded analyses of the arguments of both sides. As importantly, he makes well-thought-out arguments.
- Poliblogger: A poli-sci professor from Alabama--not far from where I briefly lived, in fact--who writes compellingly on current events and news. Poliblogger is a good mix of interesting links and insight. He's become a daily--twice daily, really--read.
- Oliver Willis: I disagree with him on almost everything, but he's clearly an intelligent fellow. I find it's worth my time to read intelligent people with whom I disagree.
- Pandagon: See above.
- Steve Verdon: If there were a couple more hours in the day, you'd see a lot more links to Steve Verdon at QandO. I always find topics there on which I want to expand, or use to update an argument I've previously made. Why I haven't done so more often is beyond me.
- JustOneMinute: Life would be more complete if we were on his blogroll. Well, his and Instapundits. Tom Maguire has some of the most evenhanded, honest analysis in the 'sphere, yet manages to do it in a very readable, even funny, way.
- The Belgravia Dispatch: I only read this blog on days when I really feel like thinking. Gregory Djerejian provides erudite analysis of foreign policy stories that don't lend themselves to a 30-second sound byte on Headline News.
- The Moderate Voice: Joe Gandelman's weekend blogging at Dean Esmay's blog got my attention. I routinely check Dean's World 2-3 times a day on the weekend now. Turns out, Gandelman's own blog is very good, too.
Note: This is by no means a comprehensive round-up of blogs I find interesting. I could also go on at great length about Captain's Quarters, RantingProfs, Outside the Beltway, Pejmanesque, Michelle Malkin, The Spoons Experience, Washington Monthly, Croooow Blog, INDC Journal, and more.
I recommend them all, but thought it was worth mentioning my most recent attention-grabbing blogs.